Saturday, July 28, 2012

Word Wands

My classroom isn't the only thing I have been focusing on this summer. I've been doing a lot of exploring/studying different word work methods for Kindergarten and trying to decide how I am going to implement them in my class. One of the things I did discover are sight-word pointers (which I'm going to call Word Wands). The idea is that after the students have learned and mastered a new sight word, they use the wands in a word work and/or reading station to point at the word when they find it in a book or passage. 

These are just some of the wands that I made: 

Making them was easy-peasy! I simply printed the words on card-stock, glued them to these cute mini-accent circles I bought at the teacher store, laminated them, and then hot-glued them onto Popsicle sticks! 
I LOVE the way they turned out, and I think they are sturdy enough to last a couple of years! 

Now here is the exciting part...you can make these SAME Word Wands for FREE! (well, almost) I started a Teachers Pay Teachers account so that my followers can download some of my word work ideas! So if you like these word wands, simply click on the link below and it will take you to the TPT site where you can download the words in their cute little circle format for FREE! (you're on your own with the mini-accents and popsicle sticks!) :)


The FREE printable includes 36 Kindergarten sight-words. I hope you enjoy the printable and have success with your own Word Wands! 

~Lindsay

1 comment: