Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pinterest Project

Well, I fell into the trend...MILK CRATE SEATS! I have seen them all over Pinterest, and I even have a few coworkers that have created them. Not only are they adorable, but they allow for extra storage! Here is a quick little look at the process.



I bought four file folder crates from Target. (Make sure that if you ever decide to create these on your own that you use the file folder crates. They have a small "lip" on the top inside of the crate that allows for the seat to set in.) My cat, Elton, inspected the crates to make sure they were the right kind. He's such a good helper. :)

I then recruited my Mom to help because she is the BEST at projects like this. (She also recently reupholstered her dining room chairs, so I knew she knew what she was doing!) We took one of the crates to Home Depot and asked an employee to help us cut the wood. We purchased a sheet of 1/2" thick plywood and Mr. Home Depot measured the inside part of the crate where that top "lip" is, and cut the wood to fit inside. He was fantastic, and there's NO WAY this project would have been completed without his help! 

We then ran across the street to Hobby Lobby (yes, my one true love!) to buy foam and cow-print fabric.


This stage of the project is where my Mom did most of the grunt work. I helped her cut the foam and fabric to fit the size of the wooden seat. She sprayed adhesive on the wood so the foam would not shift when she stapled the fabric, and then she worked her magic! I'm terrified of staple guns, so again, my Mom did all the work here. :)

My Mom also stapled a small loop of ribbon to the bottom of the seat so that it would be easier to lift it up from the crate. Here is the finished product:





Aren't they great!? I'm going to use them at my small group table in the classroom. I'm not exactly sure what I will "store" inside the crate, but I have no doubt that I will need to put something in there. 


~Lindsay

1 comment: